To build a home

There's this beautiful song called "To build a home" by The Cinematic Orchestra. Each time I hear it, there's some strange melancholy that it induces in me. I sometimes tear up while listening to it and sometimes my heart's beats match the beats of the song. My love for this song might also come from the fact that it's used in a couple of my favourite movies and shows and played at some pivotal scenes that had an impact on me.

"And I built a home
for you, for me, 
until it disappeared 
from me, from you
Now it's time to leave and turn to dust"

What does it mean to build a home for someone?
What will it be made of? Stone, wooden floors, love, care...?
Where will it reside? In the world that you can see through your eyes or in a world you see only within?
What will be the colour of its walls? A clean coat of plain white or textured strokes of passionate hues?
Will it have windows or just walls?
Will it have a welcome mat or be locked?
What does it mean to build a home for someone?
Does it mean you will always be patient with them, even if you are hurting?
Does it mean you will always offer them honesty or does it mean you will offer them comfort rather than honesty because you know that's all that they want or can handle?
Will this home have rules or set your soul free?
What does it mean to build a home for someone?
Does it mean you will make the space they share with you safe for them? But what is safe? What if it is where they get to practice their mistakes on you instead? And it isn't safe for you...
What if the someone is you?
Where do you truly feel at home?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Languages

Jumme ki raat